[Python-Dev] new binary wheels PEP idea

Alexander Revin lyssdod at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:13:16 EST 2019

Hi all,

I have an idea regarding Python binary wheels on non-glibc platforms,
and it seems that initially I've posted it to the wrong list ([1])

Long story short, the proposal is to use platform tuples (like
compiler ones) for wheel names, which will allow much broader platform
support, for example:

package-1.0-cp36-cp36m-amd64_linux_gnu.whl
package-1.0-cp36-cp36m-amd64_linux_musl.whl

So eventually only {platform tag} part will be modified. Glibc/musl
detection is quite trivial and eventually will be based on existing
one in PEP 513 [2].

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Alex