[Python-Dev] Question - Bug Triage for 3.4 & 3.5

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 12:58:18 EST 2019

Hi,

If Python 3.4 was the current version when a bug was reported, I would
expect the version field of the bug set to Python 3.4. Maybe the bug
has been fixed in the meanwhile, maybe not. Closing all bugs affected
to 3.4 is a risk of loosing useful information on real bugs: closed
bugs are ignored by default in "Search" operation.

Changing the version field: well, I don't think that it's useful. I
usually ignore this field. And it would send like 3000 emails... I
don't see the point.

It's not uncommon that I fix bugs which 5 years old if not longer.
Sometimes, I decide to look at all bugs of a specific module. And most
of old bugs are still relevant nowadays. Sometimes, closing the bug as
WONTFIX is the right answer, but it can only be done on a case by case
basis.

Note: Same rationale for Python 3.5, Python 2.6, or another other old
Python version ;-)

Bug triage is hard and requires plenty of time :-)

Victor