[Python-Dev] Making PyInterpreterState an opaque type

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 20 14:17:30 EST 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 12:45 PM Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

> On 19Feb2019 1141, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > Steve Dower wrote on 2/16/19 14:34:>
> >> This is mostly about being able to assign blame when things break, so
> >> I'm totally okay with extension modules that want to play with internals
> >> declaring Py_BUILD_CORE to get access to them (though I suspect that
> >> won't work out of the box - maybe we should have a
> >> Py_I_TOO_LIKE_TO_LIVE_DANGEROUSLY?).
> >
> > Let's call it Py_POINTED_STICK of course!
> >
> > http://www.montypython.net/scripts/fruit.php
>
> +1, and instead of "using the internal API" we can call it "coming at
> CPython with a banana" :D

I don't think now is the exact time to do this since how to even handle
PEPs isn't really settled in this new steering council world, but
eventually maybe a PEP to outlining the re-org, how to opt into what seems
to be the 3 different layers of the C API for users, guidelines on how to
decide what APIs go where, etc. might be warranted? Stuff is starting to
get strewn about without a centralized thing to focus discussions around so
probably having a PEP to focus around might help.