[Python-Dev] Register-based VM [Was: Possible performance regression]

Joe Jevnik jjevnik at quantopian.com
Tue Feb 26 17:10:34 EST 2019

METH_FASTCALL passing arguments on the stack doesn't necessarily mean it
will be slow. In x86 there are calling conventions that read all the
arguments from the stack, but the rest of the machine is register based.
Python could also look at ABI calling conventions for inspiration, like
x86-64 where some arguments up to a fixed amount are passed on the stack
and the rest are passed on the stack.

One thing that I am wondering is would Python want to use a global set of
registers and a global data stack, or continue to have a new data stack
(and now registers) per call stack. If Python switched to a global stack
and global registers we may be able to eliminate a lot of instructions that
just shuffle data from the caller's stack to the callee's stack.