[Python-Dev] Another update for PEP 394 -- The "python" Command on Unix-Like Systems

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 26 18:21:35 EST 2019

On Feb 26, 2019, at 13:34, Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two very different questions in mind for moving this forward.
>
> Who gets to decide on PEP 394 changes?

Honestly, I think it’s the active distro maintainers who need to make this decision.  They have the pulse of their own communities and users, and can make the best decisions and compromises for their constituents.  I personally am not part of that any more, so I have no problem having no say (despite still having opinions :).

> Since so many people on python-dev are in agreement, where do I go for opposing voices?

Well, why look for more dissent?  If you can align Homebrew, Fedora-et-al, Debian-et-al, and we already know what Arch has done, and the PEP authors are in agreement, isn't that enough to JFDI?  It couldn’t hurt to reach out to a few other distros, but do you think they will have substantially different opinions than what you’ve gathered already?

-Barry