[Python-Dev] Summary of Python tracker Issues

Jonathan Goble jcgoble3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:07:14 EST 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:57 PM Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com>
wrote:

> On 2/28/2019 2:52 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> On 2/28/2019 5:38 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>
> On 2/28/2019 2:18 PM, Jonathan Goble wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 5:11 PM Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
> <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu> <tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/28/2019 8:07 AM, Jonathan Goble wrote:
>     > On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 8:02 AM INADA Naoki
>     <songofacandy at gmail.com <mailto:songofacandy at gmail.com>
> <songofacandy at gmail.com>
>     > <mailto:songofacandy at gmail.com <songofacandy at gmail.com>
> <mailto:songofacandy at gmail.com> <songofacandy at gmail.com>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     No stats for last week?
>     >
>     >
>     > Been missing for two weeks actually. I did not receive a summary on
>     > either the 15th or 22nd.
>
>     Ditto for me.  I get pydev via gmane.  Anyone missing the same issues
>     get pydev directly by email?
>

> I get direct emails only and stated my observation above. :-)
>

> I confirm and concur with Jonathan's observation, by searching my email
> archive for this group list. So it is not just something about his
> particular email address... except we both do use Google Mail services.  I
> do check my Google SPAM box for the account, and it wasn't there either, by
> recollection (I don't archive the SPAM, but delete it ASAP).
>
> Can someone not using a Google email address also confirm?
>

> I effectively did when I said I access via gmane -- as a newsgroup via
> NNTP.  I am sure that the mail server sends directly to news.gmane.org
> rather than through google.
>

> That's a whole different protocol. I don't know all the configurations for
> the server that sends the Summary messages, or how it is handled, but you
> confirm it didn't get to gnane via NNTP, and Jonathan and I confirm it
> didn't get to Google email servers, but neither one really confirms that it
> didn't get to other email servers. Google email is definitely different
> than other email servers.
>
> There seems to be enough evidence that something went wrong somewhere,
> though, and whoever maintains that process should start investigating, but
> it would still be nice to get confirmation from a non-Google email
> recipient whether they did or did not get the Summary messages.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to manually send them, and if the missing two
> weeks of activity can be reported... once the sending problem is understood
> and resolved.

It's also possible that the fault is not in sending (we have evidence here
that two entirely different protocols have not received it, and they are
also not in the archives [1]), but in the generation of the report. Could
there have been a subtle change to the bpo tracker itself, or something
else along those lines, that is causing the script to fail silently before
it ever reaches the point of attempting to send? Or perhaps a disk ran out
of space somewhere?

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2019-February/date.html