[Python-Dev] Return type of datetime subclasses added to timedelta

Paul Ganssle paul at ganssle.io
Sun Jan 6 15:50:32 EST 2019

Brett,

Thank you for bringing this up, but I think you /may/ have misunderstood
my position - though maybe you understood the thrust and wanted to
clarify for people coming in halfway, which I applaud.

I proposed this change /knowing/ that it was a breaking change - it's
why I brought it to the attention of datetime-SIG and now python-dev -
and I believe that there are several factors that lead this to being a
smaller compatibility problem than it seems.

One such factor is the fact that /many/ other features of `datetime`,
including the implementation of `datetime.now()` are /already broken/ in
the current implementation for anyone who would be broken by this
particular aspect of the semantic change. That is not saying that it's
impossible that there is code out there that will break if this change
goes through, it's just saying that the scope of the breakage is
necessarily very limited.

The reason I brought up the bug tracker is because between Python 3.6
and Python 3.7, we in fact made a similar breaking change to the one I'm
proposing here without thinking that anyone might be relying on the fact
that they could do something like:

class D(datetime.datetime):
    def __new__(cls):
        return cls.now()

My point was that there have been no bug reports about the /existing
change/ that Guido was bringing up (his example itself does not work on
Python 3.7!), which leads me to believe that few if any people are
relying on the fact that it is possible to define a datetime subclass
with a different default constructor.

As I mentioned, it is likely possible to have a transition period where
this would still work even if the subclassers have not created their own
__add__ method.

There is no way to create a similar deprecation/transition period for
people relying on the fact that `type(datetime_obj + timedelta_obj) ==
datetime.datetime`, but I think this is honestly a sufficiently minor
breakage that the good outweighs the harm. I will note that we have
already made several such changes with respect to alternate constructors
even though technically someone could have been relying on the fact that
`MyDateTime(*args).replace(month=3)` returns a `datetime` object.

This is not to say that we should lightly make the change (hence my
canvassing for opinions), it is just that there is a good amount of
evidence that, practically speaking, no one is relying on this, and in
fact it is likely that people are writing code that assumes that adding
`timedelta` to a datetime subclass returns the original subclass, either
directly or indirectly - I think we're likely to fix more people than we
break if we make this change.

Best,
Paul