[Python-Dev] VxWorks and cpython?

Kuhl, Brian brian.kuhl at windriver.com
Thu Jan 10 11:54:46 EST 2019

Hi Victor,
I think we can come up with some sort of strategy that will work for everyone.
I'll ask about the SSH access; and if that runs up against a corporate roadblock, I will explore some other alternative.

Is there a good place to document "Python on VxWorks" ?
The changes to Python are not large, I've kept the pull request from last year's POC active. The changed files provide a good summary of the scope.
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/4184/files
However, based on the POC we've gone back and improved VxWorks, so the some of the uglier bits, in libraries like submodule, won't be needed.
These will be in the next release of VxWorks.

However we let automake and setup.py do much of the work for us, so where VxWorks  does not have support for something, it's not obvious.
A public document would go a long way to filling in those details, something much more detailed than  my glib "VxWorks is almost POSIX" in the pull request.

Other challenges;
* VxWorks is cross-compiled on both Linux and Windows. ( currently with clang and gcc)
* Supported on ARM,  PowerPC and Intel processors
* 32bit and 64bit builds
* A constantly evolving set of reference boards (or BSPs)
https://marketplace.windriver.com/index.php?bsp&on=list&type=platform&value=VxWorks:%207%20-%20Wind%20River%20Workbench%204.0

I don't think we need a buildbot for every board.  I'm thinking a 1/2 dozen to cover ARM, PPC and IA with both a 32bit and 64 bit build?
We have a bit of chicken and egg problem right now, a buildbot will always fail until there's some basic VxWorks support added.

Do we set them up, and just let them fail, till enough PRs are accepted to make it build?

Brian