[Python-Dev] Add more SyntaxWarnings?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jan 30 13:12:21 EST 2019

MRAB schrieb am 29.01.19 um 19:55:
> On 2019-01-29 13:44, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> FWIW, we have pretty decent evidence that error messages don't have to
>> provide a wonderful explanation on their own in order to be helpful:
>> they just need to be distinctive enough that a web search will
>> reliably get you to a page that gives you relevant information.
>>
>> Pre-seeded answers on Stack Overflow are excellent for handling the
>> second half of that approach (see [1] for a specific example).
>> [1]
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25445439/what-does-syntaxerror-missing-parentheses-in-call-to-print-mean-in-python
>
> I have a vague recollection that a certain computer system (Amiga?) had a
> 'why' command. If it reported an error, you could type "why" and it would
> give you more details.
>
> I suspect that all that was happening was that when the error occurred it
> would store the additional details somewhere that the 'why' command would
> simply retrieve.

So … are you suggesting to use the webbrowser module inside of the REPL to
look up the exception message of the previously printed stack trace in
stack overflow when a user types "why()"?

I faintly recall someone implementing something in that direction. It's
probably in some package on PyPI.

Stefan