[Python-Dev] Last-minute request: please backport bpo-33329 fix to 3.4 and 3.5

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Mar 2 01:05:16 EST 2019

This bug in bpo-33329:

    https://bugs.python.org/issue33329

was fixed for 3.6+, but it also affects 3.4 and 3.5.  The bug is that
with newer versions of glibc--which I'm pretty sure has shipped on all
major Linux distros by now--the test suite may send signals that are
invalid somehow.  As a result the test suite... blocks forever?  I
think?  Anyway the observed resulting behavior is that there are three
regression tests in each branch that seemingly never complete.  I
started the 3.4 regression test suite /nine hours ago/ and it still
claims to be running--and the 3.5 test suite isn't far behind.
Technically, no, it's not a security bug.  But I simply can't ship 3.4
and 3.5 in this sorry state.

Obviously it'd be best if the folks involved with the original PRs
(Antoine?) took over.  I'm sending this to a wider audience just because
I'd hoped to tag the next RCs for 3.4 and 3.5 this weekend, and the
original participants in this fix may not be available, and I'm hoping I
won't have to slip the schedule.

Thanks for your time,

//arry/