[Python-Dev] [RELEASE] Python 2.7.16

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 4 19:31:50 EST 2019

On 3/3/2019 10:30 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of Python 2.7.16 for download at https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2716/.

On Windows 10, this is an 'unrecognized app' and Windows Defender
SmartScreen, now default, refuses to run it. "Windows protected your PC"
until one clicks 'more info' to get 'Run anyway'.  This is new since the
.rc1 release.  We should either make 2.7 a 'known' app* or say something
on the download page about clicking 'more info'.  I don't know the
status of python.org 3.x downloads.

Since Steve Dower put 3.7 on the Windows store, PSF must now be a known
publisher.  Perhaps he can help make 2.7 'known'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy