[Python-Dev] PEPs from non-core devs now need a sponsor

Calvin Spealman cspealma at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 08:05:31 EST 2019

> because if a single core dev won't sign on to help then what chance does
the PEP have of being accepted?

If this is the justification, then I feel like it is a barrier that could
be disassembled, rather than one people need to be granted permission to
climb over.

I am named on one PEP with two others (PEP 3135) and none of us were core
developers, I think? I don't want that barrier added to newcomers, and I
don't disagree there is a pre-existing barrier, but I can't help but feel
this is not the best solution to it.

I'm worried this creates a gatekeeping perception that will scare away
contributors.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 8:53 PM Brett Cannon <brett at snarky.ca> wrote:

> The steering council has implemented a new idea called sponsors to the PEP
> process (added in
> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/c58d32c33bd06eb386d3f33963a1434510528f68).
> The thinking is that to help make sure PEPs from non-core developers
> receive appropriate guidance through the PEP process, a core developer
> needs to sign on to be a sponsor of the PEP. Being a sponsor does *not*
> preclude the core dev from eventually becoming a co-author or BDFL-delegate
> later on (but obviously not both), but the expectation is the sponsor is
> supportive of the idea (because if a single core dev won't sign on to help
> then what chance does the PEP have of being accepted?).
>
> If this doesn't turn out well we can obviously revert this, but hopefully
> this will make things smoother for those who are new to the PEP process.

CALVIN SPEALMAN

SENIOR QUALITY ENGINEER

cspealma at redhat.com  M: +1.336.210.5107
<https://red.ht/sig>