[Python-Dev] [RELEASE] Python 2.7.16

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Tue Mar 5 11:55:41 EST 2019

On 04Mar2019 1631, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 3/3/2019 10:30 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of Python 2.7.16
>> for download at https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2716/.
>
> On Windows 10, this is an 'unrecognized app' and Windows Defender
> SmartScreen, now default, refuses to run it. "Windows protected your PC"
> until one clicks 'more info' to get 'Run anyway'.  This is new since the
> .rc1 release.  We should either make 2.7 a 'known' app* or say something
> on the download page about clicking 'more info'.  I don't know the
> status of python.org 3.x downloads.
>
> Since Steve Dower put 3.7 on the Windows store, PSF must now be a known
> publisher.  Perhaps he can help make 2.7 'known'.

SmartScreen should recognize it now that it's been downloaded a few
times without reporting, but the real problem is that it hasn't been
signed properly. (I don't have any validation set up for Python 2 on this.)

I'll try and sign the version on my build machine by hand and upload it
again this week, and maybe add a validation step to interrupt the upload
if it's not signed, but anything Python 2 is a very low priority for me
(sorry Benjamin :) ).

Cheers,
Steve