[Python-Dev] PEPs from non-core devs now need a sponsor

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Tue Mar 5 14:58:43 EST 2019

On 2019-03-05 18:14, Steve Dower wrote:
> However, if you don't have
> *a single* core developer on board from python-ideas, chances are the
> whole team is going to reject the proposal.

Sure, I couldn't agree more. But this is something that a PEP mentor
(instead of sponsor) also could deal with. Any potential mentor would
quickly dismiss the PEP as having no chance and that would work just fine.

The problem with the "sponsor" idea is that the sponsor must come from
the group of core devs supporting the PEP. What if all core devs
supporting it don't have time to act as sponsor or just don't care enough?

On the other hand, if there is some support for an idea, then anybody
should be able to mentor even if the mentor doesn't personally support
the idea. I guess the mentor shouldn't be opposed either, but there is a
large gray zone of -0/+0 in between where mentors could come from.

Jeroen.