[Python-Dev] PEPs from non-core devs now need a sponsor

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Tue Mar 5 16:02:54 EST 2019

On 05Mar2019 1245, Chris Angelico wrote:
> How much effort does it take to sponsor a PEP? I'm not a core dev, but
> I can help someone with the work of writing and publishing. So if, in
> that hypothetical situation, some (very busy) core dev were willing to
> say "yeah, go ahead, put my name on it", would that be sufficient? If
> so, it shouldn't be a problem to require this - any proposal with
> enough support to be worth PEPing should have at least one person
> who's willing to have his/her name in the headers.

For the record, now that he's joined the conversation, Chris is who I
had in mind when I invented the term "PEP triager" in my email :)

If we had a way of appointing people who we trust to be non-core dev
sponsors of PEPs, I'd nominate him. Though I suspect he's well known
enough to the council that they'd accept his support of a PEP as
sufficient to consider it from someone who's otherwise completely
unknown. There are always grey areas in any policy.

Cheers,
Steve