[Python-Dev] PEPs from non-core devs now need a sponsor

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 6 14:32:25 EST 2019

On Mar 6, 2019, at 10:28, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.python at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a non core-dev, my enthusiasm for submitting a pep has been diminished by some 40%.

I’m sorry to hear that.

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that successfully navigating the PEP process can be quite daunting an demoralizing at times.  I wish that weren’t the case, and it was certainly not the intention when the PEP process was originally designed, but Python is a large diverse community now, and a mature, slow moving language, so it’s rare that a great idea makes it through without contention.

I think that the requirement to find a sponsor can help with that, regardless of whether the PEPable idea is ultimately accepted or rejected.  Core devs generally have a pretty good sense of what it takes to get a PEP through the process, can provide encouragement when the millithreads get you down or overwhelmed, and can help short circuit the disappointment, time and emotional investment when the idea has a poor chance of being accepted.  Many of our core devs have gone through it, with both outcomes, so their guidance can be very valuable.  I like to think of the sponsor as a PEP mentor, although sponsors can of course have a range of involvement.  Our core devs want you to succeed (or conversely save you from wasting your time), and they’ve been there, done that.

Core dev sponsors can be a great resource for folks new to the process.

Cheers,
-Barry