[Python-Dev] PEPs from non-core devs now need a sponsor

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Mar 8 13:26:23 EST 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 5:46 AM Richard Damon <Richard at damon-family.org>
wrote:

> On 3/8/19 8:09 AM, Alex Walters wrote:
> > I'm confused about this.  Didn't you need someone with merge permissions
> already to merge a pep into the pep repo?  Isn't this just adding a layer
> of paperwork to something that was already the case for all practical
> purposes?

Nope. We don't like paperwork anymore than you or anyone else.

> I would say the difference that before, the non-committer proposer just
> needed to convince some committer that the PEP was 'a good idea' and
> worth being discussed. Now, that person needs to persuade some committer
> that not only is it a good idea, but that it is worth the committer
> committing themselves to supporting the proposer through the process.

What Richard said. Before, PEP editors would make sure a PEP was basically
grammatically correct and not totally bonkers, but otherwise didn't make
judgments. Now we're saying there needs to be a core dev to help you
through the process to help make sure you will be successful and at least
*someone* thinks it's a good idea.

-Brett