[Python-Dev] Remove tempfile.mktemp()

Stéphane Wirtel stephane at wirtel.be
Tue Mar 19 09:03:11 EDT 2019

Hi,

Context: raise a warning or remove tempfile.mktemp()
BPO: https://bugs.python.org/issue36309

Since 2.3, this function is deprecated in the documentation, just in the
documentation. In the code, there is a commented RuntimeWarning.
Commented by Guido in 2002, because the warning was too annoying (and I
understand ;-)).

So, in this BPO, we start to discuss about the future of this function
and Serhiy proposed to discuss on the Python-dev mailing list.

Question: Should we drop it or add a (Pending)DeprecationWarning?

Suggestion and timeline:

3.8, we raise a PendingDeprecationWarning
    * update the code
    * update the documentation
    * update the tests
      (check a PendingDeprecationWarning if sys.version_info == 3.8)

3.9, we change PendingDeprecationWarning to DeprecationWarning
      (check DeprecationWarning if sys.version_info == 3.9)

3.9+, we drop tempfile.mktemp()

What do you suggest?

Have a nice day and thank you for your feedback.