[Python-Dev] Remove tempfile.mktemp()

Stéphane Wirtel stephane at wirtel.be
Tue Mar 19 10:10:40 EDT 2019

totally agree with you but this function is deprecated (2002) since 2.3,
with a simle comment about a security issue.

2.3 -> 2.7, 3.0 -> 3.7, 13 releases and 17 years.

Maybe we could remove it with an official PendingDeprecationWarning.

Le 19/03/19 à 14:39, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
> The fact that many projects, including well-maintained ones such Sphinx
> or pip, use mktemp(), may be a hint that replacing it is not as easy as
> the people writing the Python documentation seem to think.
What's the relation with the people writing the Python documentation?

The suggestion about the deprecation warning was proposed by Brett
Cannon, and Serhiy has proposed to deprecate this function with some
releases.

The final release for 3.8 is scheduled for October 2019
(PendingDeprecationWarning).
Maybe 3.9 will be released 18 months later (DeprecationWarning).
and maybe 3.10 or 4.0 will be released 18 months after 3.9.

so, from today to 3.9+ there are approximatively 43 months -> 3,5 years.
I think it's enough in term of time for the big projects to improve
their code.

Stéphane