[Python-Dev] Is XML serialization output guaranteed to be bytewise identical forever?

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 16:27:13 EDT 2019

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 00:29, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> 19.03.19 15:10, Tim Delaney пише:
> > Now Calibre is definitely in the wrong here - it should be able to
> > import regardless of the order of attributes. But the fact is that there
> > are a lot of tools out there that are semi-broken in a similar manner.
>
> Is not Calibre going to seat on Python 2 forever? This makes it
> non-relevant to the discussion about Python 3.8.

I was simply using Calibre as an example of a tool I'd encountered recently
that works correctly with input files with attributes in one order, but not
the other. That it happens to be using Python (of any vintage) is
irrelevant - could have been written in C, Go, Lua ... same problem that
XML libraries that arbitrarily sort (or otherwise manipulate the order of)
attributes can result in files that may not work with third-party tools.

Tim Delaney