[Python-Dev] Removing PendingDeprecationWarning

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 06:33:04 EDT 2019

22.03.19 04:41, Inada Naoki пише:
> I'm thinking about removing PendingDeprecationWarning.
> (previous discussion:
> https://discuss.python.org/t/pendingdeprecationwarning-is-really-useful/1038)
>
> It was added "not be printed by default" version of DeprecationWarning.
> But DeprecationWarning is not printed by default now.
>
> We use PendingDeprecationWarning for N-2 release, and change it to
> DeprecationWarning for N-1 release.  But this workflow seems not worth
> enough for now.
>
> I want to stop using PendingDeprecationWarning for new deprecation.
>
> More aggressively, I want to remove PendingDeprecationWarning class,
> and `PendingDeprecationWarning = DeprecationWarning` for backward
> compatibility.
>
> How do you think?  May I do it in Python 3.8?

What is wrong with PendingDeprecationWarning? What problem do you want
to solve at the cost of removing this feature?

Now, when DeprecationWarning is displayed by default in the interactive
session, in __main__ and in development runtime mode (and this list can
be extended), PendingDeprecationWarning is useful again. Even if the
interpreter itself would not use it, it is used in third-party projects.