[Python-Dev] BDFL-Delegate appointments for several PEPs

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Wed Mar 27 18:18:44 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-27 14:50, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> The pre-PEP claims speedups of 2% in initial experiments, with
> expected overall performance gain of 4% for the standard benchmark
> suite. That's pretty big.

I re-did my earlier benchmarks for PEP 580 and these are the results:
https://gist.github.com/jdemeyer/f0d63be8f30dc34cc989cd11d43df248

In general, the PEP 580 timings seem slightly better than vanilla
CPython, similar to what Mark got. I'm speculating that the speedup in
both cases comes from the removal of type checks and dispatching
depending on that, and instead using a single protocol that directly
does what needs to be done.

Jeroen.