[Python-Dev] PEP 580/590 discussion

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Thu May 9 17:14:02 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-09 20:30, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> ### Making things private
>
> For Python 3.8, the public API should be private, so the API can get
> some contact with the real world. I'd especially like to be able to
> learn from
> Cython's experience using it.
> That would mean:
>
> * _PyObject_Vectorcall
> * _PyCall_MakeVectorCall
> * _PyVectorcall_NARGS
> * _METH_VECTORCALL
> * _Py_TPFLAGS_HAVE_VECTORCALL
> * _Py_TPFLAGS_METHOD_DESCRIPTOR

Do we really have to underscore the names? Would there be a way to mark
this API as provisional and subject to change without changing the
names? If it turns out that PEP 590 was perfect after all, then we're
just breaking stuff in Python 3.9 (when removing the underscores) for no
reason.

Alternatively, could we keep the underscored names as official API in
Python 3.9?