[Python-Dev] PEP 581 (Using GitHub issues for CPython) is accepted

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed May 15 14:43:00 EDT 2019

IMO the text of PEP 581 could use some improvements to capture more of the
debate. For example:

- If people want to submit PRs to the peps repo that correct *factual*
mistakes in PEP 581, they're welcome to (and I will personally see that
they will be merged). For example, IIRC you *can* reply to a bpo issue via
email, so that bullet should probably be struck.

- If someone wants to volunteer a PR to the peps repo that adds a list of
objections against the move, e.g. losing certain bpo capabilities, or
specific undesirable behaviors or properties of GitHub, that will also be
entertained (but be reasonable).

But trust me that the SC didn't take this decision lightly. It was
unanimous, and we have all thought about this a great deal (and listened to
long arguments pro and con). It's also impossible to satisfy everyone --
some people find GitHub unacceptable (I've heard about 1-2 people who
refused to create GitHub accounts), but others find bpo unusable (the need
to have a bpo account in order to accept the CLA has been brought up
repeatedly).

A successful migration will take a lot of work, and PEP 588 is where we
keep track of tasks to be accomplished. (There are more that haven't made
it to that PEP, e.g. the mechanics of the actual move.) We're also hoping
to get professional help managing the migration so that not everything
relies on volunteers.

(Speaking of relying on volunteers, if you haven't seen Russel
Keith-Magee's keynote at the most recent PyCon US, please watch it. It is
an amazing thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftP5BQh1-YM -- start at
21:00 to skip the conference opening remarks.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him/his **(why is my pronoun here?)*