[Python-Dev] bpo-36829: Add sys.unraisablehook()

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu May 16 17:41:39 EDT 2019

Le jeu. 16 mai 2019 à 23:17, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> a écrit :
> You go on to say "pass an error message" and "keep repr(obj) if you
> want", but how is this different from creating an exception that
> contains the custom message, the repr of the object, and chains the
> exception that triggered it?

Well, "unraisable exceptions" are raised when something goes wrong.
I'm not comfortable with creating a new exception instance and
chaining it to the previous exception, because it could go wrong and
raise a 3rd exception. Issue a new error while trying to log an error
can be annoying :-(

Moreover, when I looked at details of the "unraisable exception" (see
my reply to Petr Viktorin), I saw that the exception is not well
defined as you might expect. (exc_type, exc_value, exc_tb) can *not*
be replaced with (type(exc_value), exc_value,
exc_value.__traceback__). Sometimes, exc_value is None. Sometimes,
exc_tb is a traceback object, but exc_value.__traceback__ is None. So
I'm not comfortable neither to chain such badly shaped exception into
a new exception.

I prefer to pass "raw" values and let the hook decides how to handle them :-)

Said differently, I prefer to design the hook to restrict the risks of
creating a new error. At least in the code which calls the hook.
Inside the hook.

Victor