[Python-Dev] ast changes for "debug" f-strings

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon May 20 09:25:57 EDT 2019

I added an optional "expr_text" field to the FormattedValue node, which
represents the text of the expression in a "debug" f-string expression.
So in f'{x=}', expr_text would be "x=".

This strictly speaking isn't necessary. I could have added another
Constant node for "x=" and left FormattedValue alone. I didn't for three
reasons: it was expedient; it didn't require a lot of surgery to
f-string parsing, which the extra Constant node would require; and it
allowed the Python/ast_unparse.c code to produce a string that was more
consistent with input string.

Now that I have more time, I'm rethinking this decision. I'd rather not
have the extra churn that modifying the ast node will cause to
downstream code. Someone (Serhiy?) already pointed this out somewhere,
but now I can't find the original message.

But the issue of the fidelity of ast_unparse is still there. I think the
only place this code is used is "from __future__ import annotations",
but for all I know there's a plan to use it elsewhere.

Does anyone care that f'{x=}' would become f'x={x!r}' if I removed
expr_text from the FormattedValue node?

This isn't the only place where ast_unparse isn't exact with what it
produces. It's not designed to give the exact source text back, just
something equivalent.

But it's not clear to me how equivalent it needs to be. Even if I did
add the extra Constant node, then you'd have the following discrepancy:

f'value: {x=}' would produce:
[Expr(value=JoinedStr(values=[Constant(value='value: ', kind=None),
Constant(value='x=', kind=None), FormattedValue(value=Name(id='x',
ctx=Load()), conversion=114, format_spec=None, expr_text='x=')]))]

Note that there are two consecutive Constant nodes here. So this:

f'value: x={x!r}' would produce the slightly different:
[Expr(value=JoinedStr(values=[Constant(value='value: x=', kind=None),
FormattedValue(value=Name(id='x', ctx=Load()), conversion=114,
format_spec=None)]))]

Note that there is a single Constant node, with the combined string in it.

I'm not sure how much we care about all of this, but let me know if you
have a strong feeling about it.

My suggestion for the 3.8b1 release is to add the extra Constant node
and remove expr_text from the FormattedValue node. This would at least
mean that there's no change to the ast definitions due to this feature.

If we decide that the two consecutive Constant nodes generated by
f'value: {x=}' need to be combined, then we can do that post 3.8b1. But
it's a lot more work to combine the nodes while the f-string is being
compiled.

Let me know your thoughts, since time is of the essence.

Eric