[Python-Dev] PEP 587 "Python Initialization Configuration" version 4

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon May 20 15:31:35 EDT 2019

Hi,

- Since PyInitError can be "ok", I'd rather call it "PyInitStatus".

- The PyConfig example sets "module_search_paths" but not
  "module_search_paths_set".  Is it an error?

- "PyConfig_InitPythonConfig" vs "PyConfig_InitIsolatedConfig": why not
  "PyConfig_InitConfig" and "PyConfig_InitIsolatedConfig"?

- Why is there an "isolated" field in addition to the "IsolatedConfig"
  functions?

- PyConfig.isolated is not documented.

- "Configuration files are still used with this configuration": why is
  this?  Shouldn't they be ignored in an isolated configuration?

- In "Comparison of Python and Isolated Configurations": what does -1
  mean here?

Overall, this looks like a great improvement.  My only worry is that
interactions between the various options seem complicated and
difficult to understand.  Perhaps we will need some detailed
documentation and examples.

Regards

Antoine.