[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Tue May 21 05:06:55 EDT 2019

On 20 May 2019, at 22:15, Christian Heimes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is the first version of my PEP 594 to deprecate and eventually
> remove modules from the standard library. The PEP started last year
> with talk during the Python Language Summit 2018,
> https://lwn.net/Articles/755229/.
>
> [...]
>
> colorsys
> ~~~~~~~~
>
> The `colorsys <https://docs.python.org/3/library/colorsys.html>`_
> module
> defines color conversion functions between RGB, YIQ, HSL, and HSV
> coordinate
> systems. The Pillow library provides much faster conversation between
> color systems.
>
> Module type
>   pure Python
> Deprecated in
>   3.8
> To be removed in
>   3.10
> Substitute
>   `Pillow <https://pypi.org/project/Pillow/>`_,
>   `colorspacious <https://pypi.org/project/colorspacious/>`_

I'm using colorsys constantly as the basis for a tool that converts CSS
colors between different coordinate systems. I don't see how that could
be done via Pillow (which AFAICT only converts complete images).
RGB<->HSV<->HLS conversion seems to be not available (or not obvious) in
colorspacious.

colorsys is a module where we can be pretty sure that it has zero bugs,
and doesn't require any maintenance or security updates, so I don't see
any reason to deprecate it.

> [...]

Servus,
    Walter