[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Tue May 21 07:24:34 EDT 2019

Le mar. 21 mai 2019 à 13:18, André Malo <nd at perlig.de> a écrit :
> There's software in production using both. (It doesn't mean it's on pypi or
> even free software).
>
> What would be the maintenance burden of those modules anyway? (at least for
> nntp, I guess it's not gonna change).

The maintenance burden is real even if it's not visible. For example,
test_nntplib is causing frequently issues on our CI:

https://bugs.python.org/issue19756
https://bugs.python.org/issue19613
https://bugs.python.org/issue31850

It's failing frequently since 2013, and nobody managed to come with a
fix.. in 6 years.

There are 11 open issues with "nntp" in their title (8 with exactly
"nntplib" in their title).

test_nntplib uses the public server news.trigofacile.com which is
operated by Julien ÉLIE. Two years ago, Julien asked me if there is
any plan to support the NNTP "COMPRESS" command.

Victor