[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue May 21 14:35:28 EDT 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM Christian Heimes <christian at python.org>
wrote:

> I'm already facing opposition for modules that are less controversial and
> useful than http.server, too.

There's another argument here. This is an "omnibus" PEP, meaning it
proposes many unrelated changes. In order to get a consensus to pass the
PEP, it may be necessary to compromise. IOW I would recommend removing
modules from the PEP that bring up strong opposition, *even* if you
yourself feel strongly that those modules should be removed.

The vast majority of modules on the list hasn't elicited any kind of
feedback at all -- those are clearly safe to remove (many people are
probably, like myself, hard-pressed to remember what they do). I'm not
saying drop anything from the list that elicits any pushback, but once the
debate has gone back and forth twice, it may be a hint that a module still
has fans. Threatening to open a CVE is more likely to reduce support for
the PEP than it is to convince anyone.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him/his **(why is my pronoun here?)*