[Python-Dev] PEP 594: update 1

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed May 22 11:19:48 EDT 2019

On Wed., May 22, 2019, 03:13 Antoine Pitrou, <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2019 17:44:16 -0700
> Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > So I should never have added those tests and then we wouldn't be
> talking
> > > about removing nntplib.
> > >

> > Not necessarily. I suspect it still would have been listed, you would
> have
> > objected, and someone may have looked at the tests to point out it was
> only
> > unit tests with no integration tests against a live service like e.g. the
> > pythontest.net-related tests and so it was already neglected.
>
> But that's moving the goalposts.

I was just replying to your hypothetical with another hypothetical.

  The PEP talks about "cruft,
> unnecessary duplication of functionality, and dispensable features". Not
> modules which have an insufficient test suite.

To me, untested code is a potential signal of cruft.

> > It also doesn't help that no one is listed in the experts index for the
> > module either.
>
> Right, but that's the case for many modules.

I never said I didn't view this PEP as conservative. 😉

Anyway, my support of dropping nntplib is +0 so I personally support
Christian if he wants to keep on the list but I'm also not that bothered if
he wants to take it off the list.

-Brett