[Python-Dev] PEP 594: update 1

Anders Munch ajm at flonidan.dk
Thu May 23 09:22:58 EDT 2019

Fra: Python-Dev [mailto:python-dev-bounces+ajm=flonidan.dk at python.org] På vegne af Terry Reedy:
>> Deprecation schedule
>> ====================
>
> I think it worth adding that some modules were deprecated years ago but kept until after 2.7 end-of-life to ease 3.x transition.  Removing modules is not a sudden new idea.
>
> Also, the proposed schedule (with one exception) is a slower alternative than proposals to add a deprecation warning (if not one already) in 3.8 and remove in 3.9.

About that schedule: I think the removal version should be called 4.0.

These are working modules that to varying degrees are still in use that are being removed.  It's perfectly legitimate for python-dev to decide to stop maintaining them, but it's a breaking change none the less.

For me, it's a couple of CGI scripts that will break.  If I hadn't read this thread, I would at some point be confronted with a ModuleNotFoundError exception, with no guidance on how to fix that.  That's not a very good user experience, even if a fix can be found after some googling. A major version change serves as a heads up that something is going on and you need to check the consequences before upgrading.

regards, Anders