[Python-Dev] PEP 594 - a proposal for unmaintained modules

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Mon May 27 09:59:28 EDT 2019

On 27.05.2019 4:55, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 04:03:11PM +0300, Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev wrote:
>> On 24.05.2019 9:55, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>> I don't know if this is a good idea or a terrible idea or somewhere in
>>> between, so I'm throwing it out to see if anyone likes it.
> [...]
>
>> This would greately damage Python's image as a mature, reliable product,
>> something that you can bank on for your critical tasks.
>>
>> By including something into the offer, we implicitly endorse it and claim
>> that we want out users to use that rather than competing offers.
> Do we? I don't think that is the case for everything -- we certainly
> don't want people using private or undocumented functions, nor do we
> want them using deprecated code.

But we do. We promise that everything works as documented. Even if something is deprecated, one is supposed to be able to rely on it while
it's (still) in.

> [...]
>> You may argue that marking it as unsupported would do the same but it
>> wouldn't. This mean I'll have to be constantly on the lookout for hidden
>> notes and such,
> Is "from unmaintained import module" enough to tell you that the
> module is unmaintained?
This comes with its own set of drawbacks:
* compatibility break
* "unmaintained" is a judgement call, actual usability can change back and forth depending on the amount of interest
* it's still a blow to Python's credibility if the team feels the need to lug a truckload of dead code around

--
Regards,
Ivan