[Python-Dev] PEP 595: Improving bugs.python.org

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri May 31 14:21:20 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 1:23 AM Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> I second this.
>
> There are currently ~7000 bugs open on bugs.python.org.  The Web UI
> makes a good job of actually being able to navigate through these bugs,
> search through them, etc.
>
> Did the Steering Council conduct a usability study of Github Issues
> with those ~7000 bugs open?

What I can personally speak to is I work on
https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-python for a living and we're at 928
issues. I also interact with and know the team behind
https://github.com/microsoft/vscode at 5,439 issues.
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/ is as 4,806. https://github.com/golang/go
is at 4,467.

Whether it's 928 or 5,439, to me both numbers are well beyond being small
enough to remember everything in the repo and having to rely on search,
labels, etc. to find anything and it's worked out for me and my team at
work. The VS Code team has also never told me that they were unhappy with
GitHub for their issue tracker at their scale either (I've chatted to them
about their automatic classification bot and they just gave an internal
talk on how they manage the project).

-Brett