[Python-ideas] Implicit String Concatenation

Adam Atlas adam at atlas.st
Wed Apr 11 20:39:00 CEST 2007

On 11 Apr 2007, at 11.01, Collin Winter wrote:

> On 4/11/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> No, please! The concatenation of string literals is done in the
>> parser.
>> Your proposal would move that to runtime and introduce a
>> "whitespace operator".
>> How would you spell that? How would you overload it? etc.
>
> A single-width whitespace operator would just be confusing since PEP
> 3117 will be using zero-width spaces for the None typedef : )

I propose we use the ASCII character 0x07 (BEL) as the concatenation
operator. It's invisible, so your code still looks nice and clean,
but you know it's there because your text editor will beep at you
every time you pass it. :)

(Speaking of PEP 3117, I will fight it to the death unless the
typedef for Exception is changed to Unicode character 2620 (SKULL AND
CROSSBONES) or 2623 (BIOHAZARD SIGN). Brilliant choice for frozenset,
though. No longer need I wonder why the Unicode Consortium saw fit to
include a snowman character!)