[Python-ideas] Implicit String Concatenation

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:15:54 CEST 2007

On 4/11/07, Eoghan Murray <eoghan at qatano.com> wrote:
> When I was first exposed to Python, I was delighted that I could do the
> following;
>     'Hello world'
> This turned to confusion when I tried;
> Syntax Error ... Invalid Syntax

I would support a proposal to remove the implicit concatenation entirely.

I suspect it would be shot down for backwards compatibility (even in
Py3K), but from a readability standpoint ...

I have never seen a string concatentation that would look worse
because of a "+".

I *have* seen some bugs where a comma was forgotten, and two arguments
got invisibly jammed together.  That's a pain to debug in C; in python
with default values, the interpreter may not even gripe sensibly.

-jJ