[Python-ideas] Implicit String Concatenation

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:18:32 CEST 2007

Georg Brandl wrote:

> I've already suggested at one time that a dedent() method be added to
> strings,
> which would make it more obvious, but what is one import...

I'm not sure this is the way to go. IMO string methods should be generic
manipulations on strings, and personally I find indenting/dedenting
multi-line strings doesn't fit in. For me, a stdlib function is just fine.

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer wrote:

> I'd rather make it explicit by using some string prefix a la 'r' or 'u',
> 'i', for instance:

This could be a reasonable solution, but it has some downsides:
* It's less readable than a well named function
* It's harder to understand for a newbie - a function/method has a
docstring, this would have to be looked up in the docs
* It's easy to miss while reading code - one small letter making a big
difference
* It paves the road for making more such string prefixes, and then we'd have
to memorize all of them... or consult the docs often

-1 from me.