[Python-ideas] Implicit String Concatenation

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Apr 17 09:50:49 CEST 2007

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Jim Jewett wrote:
>
>> (1)  Where does this preservation actually hurt?
>
> It hurts because it places a burden on everyone every
> time they use a triple quoted string to do something
> about the indentation which is unwanted 99.999% of
> the time.
>
>> I use docstrings online -- and I typically do want them indented like
>> the code.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that. Can you
> give an example where an auto-dedented docstring
> would give an undesirable result?

You didn't specify doc strings earlier, Just triple quoted strings in general.

I don't think it would be problem for only doc strings.  It could probably
be done at compile time too.  It's not really that different than the -OO
option to remove them.

Dedenting triple quoted strings in general would cause some problems in
(python 2.x) with existing gui interfaces that use triple quoted strings to
define their text.

Cheers,
    Ron