[Python-ideas] Removing instancemethod in favor of partial?

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:04:25 CEST 2007

Hey, why not? They do basically the same thing, except instancemethod
allows only a single argument. Why not allow class and instance
methods to be wrapped with a partial instead of their own type? We can
rip out 300 lines of C code supporting instance method, at least. The
only thorn is the im_class attribute, but few seem to even use it (few
meaning just Twisted, according to Google Code Search). Anyway, I
figure we don't really need it anyway because if some of the proposals
for a way to reliably get the current function, class, or module go
through, perhaps we'll have a reference to the class from the function
itself. What does anyone think?

http://ironfroggy-code.blogspot.com/