[Python-ideas] Python package files

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Apr 26 23:29:09 CEST 2007

On 4/26/07, Adam Atlas <adam at atlas.st> wrote:
> I think it would be useful for Python to accept imports of standalone
> files representing entire packages, maybe with the extension .pyp. A
> package file would basically be a ZIP file, so it would follow fairly
> easily from the current zipimport mechanism... its top-level
> directory would be the contents of a package named by the outer ZIP
> file. In other words, suppose we have a ZIP file called
> "package.pyp", and at its top level, it contains "__init__.py" and
> "blah.py". Anywhere this can be located, it would be equivalent to a
> physical directory called "package" containing those two files. So
> you can simply do "import package" as usual, regardless of whether
> it's a directory or a .pyp.

So basically zipimport, but instead of putting the zip file on
sys.path the zip file exists in a directory on sys.path and the file
name acts at the top-level package name?  I like the idea as making
stuff just work more easily by dropping into some common place and not
having to muck with the import settings would be nice.

-Brett