[Python-ideas] pprint in python 3000

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Sat Aug 11 01:53:11 CEST 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> I have never felt the need for this, so I don't feel like opening the
> can of worms.  =)

What's more, "from pprint import pprint" takes care of most of the
verbosity, so... I don't think there's a need to integrate it into
the print() function either.

It might be reasonable to change the keyword args that pprint accepts
to match those of the print() function, though.  They correspond like
this:

   print()        pprint()
   -------------  -------------
   file           stream
   end            (none)
   sep            (none)
   (none)         depth
   (none)         indent
   (none)         width

I think it would be reasonable to either replace "stream" with
"file" (or accept both), and add support for "end" to pprint().
"sep" is irrelevant, since pprint() prints only one object.  The
three pprint()-specific arguments aren't relevant to print().

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>