[Python-ideas] of properties and metaclasses

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Jul 25 05:57:39 CEST 2007

Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> And yes this is still a rather abstract idea.  The question is would it be
> beneficial to generalize and formalize descriptors and properties? (but not
> necessarily in the exact manner I'm describing.)

I would argue no.  Non-dotted assignments resulting in arbitrary code
execution sounds to me like a metric ton of magic and a great way of
confusing the hell out of any and all future readers of your code.  I
know I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to syntax, but I would really like
to see a *sane* use-case for the potential feature (though I doubt one
exists).

 - Josiah