[Python-ideas] Accelerated attr lookups

Eyal Lotem eyal.lotem at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 23:41:58 CEST 2007

I haven't compared benchmarks, but I strongly suspect that my patch is
not as fast for "real" programs, as in real programs, globals/builtins
are almost only exclusively read, and almost never written to.
His patch accelerates global reads by as much as mine does, without
making function object creation as expensive, and his addition of
overhead to dicts is probably smaller. My patch also accelerates
writes, but as I said, that will go nearly unnoticed normally.

My patch is not the end, but a means to an end. If the purpose is only
accelerating globals/builtins access, then the patch you linked to is
simpler and better.  The purpose I aim for, however, is to later use
the same technique to also accelerate access to the dicts in the type
or even in the instance, by specializing them in function objects.
This will allow to get rid of almost all attribute lookups in dicts.
Combined with the use of __slots__ in all classes, no dict lookups
will be used at all for attributes at all, except in "getattr" calls.
Combined with an mro cache, this should put Python very close to C in
terms of attribute access speed (simple direct access).

Eyal