[Python-ideas] Javascript Destructuring Assignment

Talin talin at acm.org
Mon Mar 5 23:40:55 CET 2007

As you probably know, the next version of Javascript (1.7) will have a
number of ideas that have been borrowed from Python. In particular, the
"tuple assignment" syntax will now be supported in Javascript, which
will be a pleasant addition to the language.

However, I noticed that the Javascript version is, in some respects, a
superset of the Python functionality.

If you are interested, you might have a look at this page:

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/New_in_JavaScript_1.7

Go to the section called "Destructuring assignment" to check out how the
new syntax is going to work.

As an example of what I mean, the Javascript unpacking syntax will allow
variables to be skipped:

   [a,,b] = [1,2,3]

In other words, a is assigned the value 1, the value 2 is thrown away,
and b is assigned the value 3. In today's Python, this requires a dummy
variable.

I admit that this is not a particularly important feature; However,
given that Javascript is being inspired by Python in this case, maybe it
would be appropriate to return the favor?

-- Talin