[Python-ideas] Javascript Destructuring Assignment

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 8 00:08:18 CET 2007

Ron Adam wrote:
> Greg Ewing wrote:
>
>> Ron Adam wrote:
>>
>>> Also the '*' syntax can't be used to unpack nested items.
>>
>> Makes perfectly good sense to me.
>
> Didn't say it didn't.

Then I still don't know what you meant by your original
comment. What kind of nested item unpacking would you
like to do that the * syntax wouldn't handle?

> Symmetry is not always the best solution.  Sometimes asymmetry is good
> because it can communicate a different context more clearly.

Perhaps, but why do you think that the symmetry we already
have between packing and unpacking is okay, but a new
symmetry involving * wouldn't be okay?

--
Greg