[Python-ideas] Positional only arguments

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun May 20 19:16:47 CEST 2007

On 5/20/07, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:
> > The semicolon proposal looks better, at least for this case:
> >
> > class Foo(object):
> >     def posfun(self, a; b, ...):
>
> I would also say identifying the semicolon isn't a problem.  After all
> we've been telling the difference between periods and comma's for quite a
> long time now with no difficulty.  So it's more a matter of just getting
> used to looking for it in function signatures.

Of course, in most Python code, there are spaces after commas, but not periods::

    (foo, bar, baz)
    foo.bar.baz

In the semi-colon proposal, the spacing around commas and semi-colons
will be exactly the same.

That said, I'd really like positional-only arguments one way or
another, so if they have to come with a semi-colon, I'm willing to
accept that.

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy