[Python-ideas] Make a CPAN like system for Py3K

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu May 31 03:20:33 CEST 2007

I know about cheeseshop and I know about setuptools. But how about
all this be standard tools on python 3.0, so we can have something
like CPAN but better. With setuptools being default on py3k you can
already easy_install everything, ok but then we can do even more.
When the user run a python script, if it requires a version of a lib
that he doesn't have it could download it and install in his home
folder (something in the lines of ~/pythonlibs). This will make it
much easier to distribute python programs. I think this is somewhat
like what java webstart does. What do you guys think? Also why no one
is talking about having a tool like setuptools in the stdlib?

--
Leonardo Santagada
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to