[Python-ideas] proposal to add rowexpr as a keyword

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 04:33:33 CEST 2007

--- Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> I would rather have an elegant way to deal with
> relational databases by writing Python code
> *instead*
> of SQL, than yet another mechanism for embedding
> SQL in Python.

You're wanting to solve a slightly different problem
than I was, but can you elaborate on this a bit?  How
do you currently interact with relational databases?
Are you objecting to some ugliness of SQL itself, or
do you want a more powerful abstraction?

To the extent that I have to work with awkward legacy
database structures, I find that my strategy is
usually this:

   1) Write minimal SQL to get most of the data that I
need up front.

   2) Manipulate the data many ways in Python.

   3) Write minimal SQL to put data back in the
database.