[Python-ideas] x )= f as shorthand for x=f(x)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 19:07:42 CET 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 7:39 AM, Boris Borcic <bborcic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Title says it all. Got used to += et al. My mind often expects augmented
> assignment syntax to exist uniformly for whatever transform.

I'm not really a Guido channeler, but I'd guess this has about a 0%
chance of ever making it into Python.

Function calls in Python are indicated by () following the function
name.  Your proposal puts the parentheses (or one of them) *before*
the function name. Breaking the consistency here seems like an
*extremely* bad idea.

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy