[Python-ideas] x )= f as shorthand for x=f(x)

Blake Winton bwinton at latte.ca
Fri Nov 9 21:05:32 CET 2007

Some people wrote:
 >>> I contend that "x )= f" captures some perfume of the invariant you mention,

But not enough of it.  A syntax of "x ()= f" would seem to have more chance of
being accepted.  But I would still give it no more than 0.1% chance, based on
the potential confusion between it and "x() = f"...

> In conclusion, I guess I'm warranted to take this to mean "we can
> dream up no appropriate syntax".

If I were you, I would take it more as "that suggestion is too Functional (or
perhaps just too confusing) for Python."  (If you're looking for a language that
has filed all the corners off, might I suggest Scheme.  No, seriously, I'm not
making a parenthesis joke here.)

Later,
Blake.